Sunday, May 6, 2012

My Digital Reflection

After going through EDSS 530 I beginning to appreciate the importance of technology more and more.  In the beginning I thought I was technologically competent as I had plenty of hardware knowledge, but after a few classes in 530 I realized I was still an infant when it came to utilizing technology in the classroom or for professional growth.

I think the biggest reason why I was hesitant about establishing myself on twitter or creating a blog was the negative press that social media was attracting.  After spending time on twitter and chatting with teachers around the nation, my mind has completely changed.  Unfortunately, due to my focus on my students, I did not devote as much time as I would have liked on my PLN.  However, I can assure everyone that I will be focusing on developing my PLN in the future.  

I think my favorite PLN tools were twitter and diigo.  I found twitter to be helpful because it help validate my ideas and thoughts as other teachers were genuinely appreciative of what I had to say.  Diigo is a great tool because it help me organize all the interesting resources I found while researching for lessons.  In the future diigo and twitter will play a crucial role in my PLN.

If anything, I am thankful for Jeff Heil and what he taught me in EDSS 530.  While I am still a digital visitor, I have certainly begun taking steps toward becoming a resident.

If the embedded video does not work, you can access my reflection here.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Jeff,

    You wrote a great reflection. I identify with some of the reasons for why you were hesitant to begin using Twitter and the like. I didn't want to link myself to the internet too much; I saw the internet as a frustrating task to work through. After exploring more however, I also found sites (like Pinterest) that I actually enjoyed visiting and expanding my PLN with. I hope we both continue moving forward!

    ReplyDelete